Sunday, February 15, 2009

Balloons!


This weekend was the Friends & Lovers Balloon Rally here in Rio Rancho, and my son's Cub Scout Pack where fundraising for their Scout Accounts selling coffee, hot chocolate and donuts to the Balloon teams, and anyone else who was brave enough to get up at the crack of dawn! At 4:30am when the alarm went off this morning to be honest my first instinct was to switch it off and go back to sleep. But we had signed up to help and trying not to wake everyone else, Brendan and I headed out. I had been to the area the day before, but it was sure different first thing in the morning when it was still dark. It was very cold this morning, but the parents, leaders and scouts that where there soon got to setting up waiting for the crowds wanting there hot cup of coffee, or hot chocolate. Oh and there was plenty of people, the marquee was packed!

The Weather report was issued just before 8am and within a minute the marquee emptied and Brendan and I ventured outside to watch as the Balloon Teams set too inflating and heading off in the sky's above.

For Brendan and I it was the first time we had ever been this close to see them actually inflate the hot air balloons and watch them take off. It was really exciting, plus Brendan got to go around to the different teams and collect the Balloon trading cards. Despite the cold, and the sand, after watching the sky fill with all the different balloons, I am glad I got up this morning!

No comments: