Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mint.............the final frontier

Mint, love the stuff on potatoes, love mint choc chip ice cream have done since I was a kid. But the actually plant that the lovely aromatic herb comes from became the pain of all pains this past weekend. Neither Jon or I are green fingered, I have had a tendency in the past to kill plants, and there has been numerous occasions that I have had to call home, some 6000 miles away, to ask what to do.
When we first moved into the house we are in now, the back yard had a mint bush by the back wall, and my Mom had warned us that the Mint will grow and spread everywhere. Well it had, up the wall into the grass, it was like some Alfred Hitchcock movie "Revenge of the Mint!"
The weather lately here in New Mexico has been really crazy and there hasn't been a chance for us to actually work in the back yard until this past weekend. So on Sunday we all set to pulling weeds and tidying, and we decided that the mint had to go, so we transplanted some of it into a pot, in the hope that we could control it's growth. The actually pulling of the bush was not an easy task, it was never ending, and Jon was heard to say "I feel like I am digging to China"


One of the many trash bags we filled After nearly 2 hours of finding and pulling roots we finally finished and HOPED that we got it all. I have been checking every morning the mint we transplanted because I am half expecting to find that it has broken through the pot and taken over the patio!

No comments: