Saturday, September 25, 2010

22 Bags of Popcorn!

Before I explain the meaning behind the title of this post, any parent that has volunteered at their child's school might hopefully be able to sympathize with what I am about to say!

Yesterday was the weekly popcorn sales at my sons Elementary school. Every Friday each class has to sign up, and ask for parent volunteer's to come to the school during the lunch time for every single grade and sell bags of popcorn & fruit roll ups. Seeing as I am available to volunteer my time, I offered to do the popcorn sales, with 2 other Mom's from my sons Kindergarten class.
Really how difficult can it be, popping popcorn and selling bags for 25c each and selling fruit roll ups for 50c each.

Let this blog post act as a piece of advice to parents.........................
  1. Your child does not need to be buying 10 or 12 bags of popcorn after they have just eaten lunch! and buying 10 fruit roll ups, really, I want to be this kids friend! Either these kids have hit their parents up for money, have raided their piggy banks, or out right stolen the money. Because as a parent of said children at this school, when it is popcorn day, my boys get enough money for either ONE bag of popcorn, or ONE fruit roll up, sometimes the boys have asked for enough to buy for ONE friend!
  2. Parents please understand your children have a limited amount of time for recess, they do not have time to do multiple trips to the popcorn stand because they can't carry 12 bags of popcorn at once, and if they were buying them for friends, then friends would help them carry the bags.
  3. For Kindergarten parents, please explain to your children that 25c buys one bag of popcorn and 50c buys one fruit roll up, I can not pay for every single kindergarten who's heart is broken because I have to tell them they do not have enough money!
I really could go into great detail how yesterday left me feeling a bit shocked. Not to mention sad, to the 1st grader who cried, we didn't mean to upset you, you got your bag of popcorn just before the bell rang! To the darling child who complained his bag wasn't filled all the way, REALLY!
And as a parting thought, when it is your child's birthday, send your child to school with cupcakes, cookies or some other treat..............................sending your child to the popcorn stand to buy 22 bags of popcorn is a little too much!!

No comments: